AXIRON should be applied to the underarm without rubbing into the skin with fingers or hand
PUMP the right dose
- Hold the applicator cup level to keep AXIRON from spilling
- Press the pump only once into the applicator cup and raise it straight up to your underarm
SWIPE it on
- Starting a little above your underarm and ending a little below your underarm, swipe down and up. Your doctor will determine how many applications are right for you
- If AXIRON drips or runs, wipe it back up with the applicator cup
- Do not apply AXIRON with your fingers or hand, and do not rub in the solution with your fingers or hand once it has been applied
- Rinse the applicator cup with warm running water, pat it dry with a tissue, and discard the tissue safely. Clean up any spilled solution from sink or floor to prevent others from coming into contact with AXIRON
- Wash hands right away with soap and water. Store AXIRON safely out of the reach of children
DRESS to cover
- Let underarms dry completely before dressing (this takes about 3 minutes)
- Always cover your underarms with clothing and keep covered to avoid skin-to-skin contact with others until you’ve washed the application area or showered
Use deodorant or antiperspirant at least 2 minutes before applying AXIRON
- This is to help avoid the transfer of AXIRON onto the deodorant or antiperspirant
- If you accidentally put on antiperspirant or deodorant after applying AXIRON,
safely throw away the stick or roll-on product into your household trash
No need to shave under your arms when using AXIRON
- While this was not specifically studied in the AXIRON clinical trial, patients involved
in the trial were not instructed to change their normal grooming routines or shave under
- You should apply AXIRON to clean, dry, and unbroken skin
Wait at least 2 hours after applying AXIRON before showering/bathing or swimming
- Getting the area wet before this will remove most of the AXIRON you just applied
Other important things to remember
AXIRON is a controlled substance (CIII) because it contains testosterone, which can be a target for people who abuse prescription medicines. Keep your AXIRON in a safe place to protect it and never give it to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms you have. Selling or giving away this medicine may harm others and is against the law.
Contact with eyes
Throughout the application process, be careful to avoid splashing AXIRON in the eyes. In case of contact with eyes, flush thoroughly with water. If irritation persists, seek medical advice.
Since AXIRON contains alcohol, it is flammable until dry. Always let it dry before smoking or going near an open flame.
Know your testosterone (T) levels
It’s important to apply AXIRON daily as prescribed by your doctor
- Applying AXIRON daily can help keep your testosterone levels in the normal range
- Without treatment, T levels can drop
A blood test will let you and your doctor know if AXIRON is working for you
- Ask your doctor when to schedule a follow-up appointment to help monitor your results
- After starting AXIRON, your doctor may recommend a blood test in 2 to 3 months, and then annually
Call the AXIRON patient support line at 1-877-9-AXIRON (1-877-929-4766).
Risk of Transfer
Important Safety Information or considerations regarding the risk of transfer to others
AXIRON can transfer from your body to others. Women and children should avoid contact where AXIRON is applied as unexpected signs of puberty in children or changes in body hair or increased acne in women may occur. If contact is made, the contact area on the woman or child should be washed well with soap and water right away. To lower the risk of transfer, always follow these important instructions:
- Apply AXIRON only to your armpits
- Wash your hands right away with soap and water after applying AXIRON
- After the solution has dried, cover the application area with clothing and keep covered until you have washed the application area well or have showered
- If you expect another person to have direct skin-to-skin contact with your armpits, first wash the application area well with soap and water
Stop using AXIRON and call your healthcare provider right away if you see any signs and symptoms of puberty in a child, or changes in body hair or increased acne in a woman, that may have occurred through accidental exposure to AXIRON.
Your doctor will prescribe the right dose for you
Use the chart below to make sure you’re properly applying your dose.
NUMBER OF PUMPS*
PUTTING IT ON
1 each day
2 each day
3 each day
4 each day
*Pumps = applications.